Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and picked up the bees today. 2-hour drive down and 2-hour drive back. I was surprised at the number of people there. Picking up package bees is a big deal, I guess. We arrived on scene none the worse for wear. Set up the hives. I had to do a little raking to get things a bit more level. Although the sun was out, it quickly clouded up and rained. I've heard you shouldn't install bees in the rain, but I was too far into the process to back out.

Instead of setting in the packages, i went ahead and shook them in-- may as well live life to its fullest. The first hive bees seemed a bit more active. They buzzed about, and followed me back and forth to the truck, but in the end, all settled in around the hive. The second hive bees were calmer, and pretty much stayed where I put them.

I put 1:1 syrup on the top covers, a body and the top. When I left, they were on the fronts of both hives (entrance reducers on the small opening). I drove by a few hours later, and there were just a few bees on the outside of the hives, but there were several going in and out on both. I placed the packages with stragglers in front of each hive. There were only a few in the package at the first hive, but there was quite a little cluster in the corner of the second. I hope the go into the hive. I plan to wait a while before opening up the hives for a check.

I hope this venture goes well. It was an enjoyable day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There is something exciting and exhilarating about hiving your first hive. I remember it like it was yesterday. That's because it was just about 5 weeks ago. I added another package to a new
hive today. Still exciting.

Congrats on your new hives and good luck.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
check in 2 or 3 days to be sure the queen is out of the cage remove the cage wait an additional couple of weeks be sure there is brood.. leave them alone as much as possible. if you must inspect every couple of days get a lot more hives, spread the inspecting around.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello Organist
Another new bee keeper here. My wife and I installed our first two packages 4 weeks ago. We are learning this whole process day by day. I have already found this forum to be an absolute wealth of information and help! Now, if I could just figure out, for sure, if there is a queen in my west hive.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
And i thought i was the newest here.. Congrats and good success to us all where ever our bees call home...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts