Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I've got somthing going on with one of my hives that I thought was dead I opened it up and found a real small group of bees with brood(one frame)its too early for swarms here.What could be going on here?They are almost no bees going in or out of the hive should I destroy these bees and hope for a swarm or let them be.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It's too early for swarms in NC? We have been having swarms in Washington and Oregon for almost a month now. I have been moving frames of capped brood from strong hives to weak and making nucs for about a month to try to keep them from swarming.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would imagine there are almost no bees going in and out because the colony is so small. Watch those bees entering....any carrying pollen? What shape was the colony in last fall? Did you see the queen, and are there eggs and larvae, as well as sealed brood? There are a lot of possibilities to consider...swarmed, gone queenless, disease, mites... I wouldn't write them off yet.

Reason being, I had a colony that almost died out earlier this spring. Much like the one you described. Only now it's going great guns...I fed it and gave it time, and it rebounded. Yours might too, you just never know.
Keep us posted, ok?
Steven

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see sealed brood Hard for me to see eggs or queen bad eyes.It was a weak hive going in to the fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts