Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird weather this morning thought it was October still
At 5 am it looked like it had rained out. Temp & Dewpoint were 57, humidity was 100%
Sure glad I had burlap inside the hives ! Everything was drippy out

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Weird weather this morning thought it was October still
At 5 am it looked like it had rained out. Temp & Dewpoint were 57, humidity was 100%
Sure glad I had burlap inside the hives ! Everything was drippy out
Take advantage of it and make sure they are fed properly for winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dear beekeepers in NE - please - do not cry over your local weather problems. We are having what we having. There was drought in August, now rain and couple days of heat, then in next couple days should be freezing temperatures. Humidity should be in 90-ish %. Dont think-so that feeding during these couple days of warm temperatures was a good idea. Low coming temperatures, high humidity, winter hive configuration - everything not helpful to vaporize moisture from fresh sugar syrup. Anyway - beekeeping is a very local thing. Just my 5 cents from central of Mass.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear beekeepers in NE - please - do not cry over your local weather problems. We are having what we having. There was drought in August, now rain and couple days of heat, then in next couple days should be freezing temperatures. Humidity should be in 90-ish %. Dont think-so that feeding during these couple days of warm temperatures was a good idea. Low coming temperatures, high humidity, winter hive configuration - everything not helpful to vaporize moisture from fresh sugar syrup. Anyway - beekeeping is a very local thing. Just my 5 cents from central of Mass.
Some of us had to feed so it is what it is.
The rest of your post is not making sense to me though...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Some of us had to feed so it is what it is.
The rest of your post is not making sense to me though...
Cold outside and humid = warm inside ( bee heat) and low humidity (physics) if insulated well. I am still feeding successfully - will weigh very soon. Had a condensation issue - rain on a leaky roof! Tub caught it all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunday I wrapped the 3 hives in roofing paper, added another layer of burlap and 1.25" of foam board under the top cover.
I did put an inner cover on so there would be some vent at the top of hive.
One hive it tall because it's strong at 2 deep brood and 2 super honey I left on just because. Need to go add a little more paper to the top quilt box as it's not covered.
I will strap it all down in a week or 2 or when the next storm comes.

They are cleaning house of dead bees due to cold snap.
I am surprised at the few drones I have seen too

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sunday I wrapped the 3 hives in roofing paper, added another layer of burlap and 1.25" of foam board under the top cover.
I did put an inner cover on so there would be some vent at the top of hive.
One hive it tall because it's strong at 2 deep brood and 2 super honey I left on just because. Need to go add a little more paper to the top quilt box as it's not covered.
I will strap it all down in a week or 2 or when the next storm comes.

They are cleaning house of dead bees due to cold snap.
I am surprised at the few drones I have seen too
Wrapping with roofing paper has little benefit from what I have read and know about radiation. It is useful as a wind block - somewhat - and likely useful for a quick warm up on a nice sunny day. I am waiting for sensors to arrive and will remove my bee-warmed tub feeders, at 65F now, very soon. I am insulated but not final config. for winter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The weather is all over the place here. 35 tomorrow, 60 friday and monday, 50s for the weekend.

I'm wrapping for wind break and seal for air leaks on sides if they didn't get it the all propolis done.
Wrapping still all depends on where you live. Coastal or mountainous areas will be vastly different.
I won't by gadget things to put inside other then maybe a camera to tape for YT. I'm more for trying to 8let the bees do what they do but with this being 1st Winter I've given them a little help to make sure they make it to next spring.

Wonder how many will feed with the warm up this weekend. I don't think I will be.

Just Curious but you wouldn't bother wrapping with the roof paper yet you said in another thread that you heavily insulate.
What do you wrap your hives with ?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The weather is all over the place here. 35 tomorrow, 60 friday and monday, 50s for the weekend.

I'm wrapping for wind break and seal for air leaks on sides if they didn't get it the all propolis done.
Wrapping still all depends on where you live. Coastal or mountainous areas will be vastly different.
I won't by gadget things to put inside other then maybe a camera to tape for YT. I'm more for trying to 8let the bees do what they do but with this being 1st Winter I've given them a little help to make sure they make it to next spring.

Wonder how many will feed with the warm up this weekend. I don't think I will be.

Just Curious but you wouldn't bother wrapping with the roof paper yet you said in another thread that you heavily insulate.
What do you wrap your hives with ?
I do not wrap. I insulate with R10, XPS foam ( Extruded Poly Styrene at HD) . I have shaped the foam into 5-sided boxes and sleeves that slip over the hives. I have a minimum of R20 on top and R10 on the sides with no top vents, closed up bottoms but cold bottoms (moisture condenser section). I have a restricted bottom entrances. I now insulate all year. One issue with this configuration is deep snow which could bury the entrance. I do not have the problem here, lately, but one winter I will. I currently plan on cleaning it or shoveling it out. I intend to solve the problem in time - vent pipes as an idea. Bee hvies are traditionally 15 ot 20 feet up a tree. There is very little data on buried hives.

My philosophy is simple. We farm bees. TO do this the bees need an enclosure that supports their activities and capabilities. Generating heat with temperatures control abilities is one of their most important skills.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
60º here today, Metro West MA
I saw 3 with Pollen today in the short time I was watching them.
Had a bunch of New foragers on their orientation flight this afternoon.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
475 Posts
Glad you are nimble. The best kind of beekeeping is flexible and not based on the calendar. I kept tweeking my first winter config until I saw thriving colonies getting through cold nights. I personally use Bee Cozys for the sides but heavy thick foam insulation on top. Whatever. There are many roads to a successful outcome. I really like your diligence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts