Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made it through the winter so far but I am questioning how much honey is still stored in my hive. I don't have a scale but I figured I had roughly 130 pounds in total hive weight last fall ( 2 deeps, bottom, inner cover, inner cover with 5 in sides packed with straw, and outer cover). I am estimating it at roughly 70lbs now. What does a hive setup like mine weigh if they have run out of stores and so all I have left is comb and bees? Its been pretty cold and I have not gone any further than to take off the inner cover and peak in for a quick second. They look healthy and active as far as I can see. I left them with sugar spread on the inner cover last fall and they have eaten most of it so I refilled and gave them some Bee-pro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You must be fairly high in elevation in Cache County, Utah, we have had unusually warm weather in Utah. Today's high in Cache County is predicted to be 51 F and here in Salt Lake City it is predicted to top out at 61 F. Those are really warm for Utah in February!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was afraid I was getting light. Yes it is warm. Warm enough break in and pull frames? Cache valley will hit temps in the teens easily for the next month. Should I be concerned about stimulating brood rearing?

·
Registered
369 Posts
1 empty deep box: 11 lb / 5 kg
10 drawn empty frames: 10 * 0.4 kg = 9 lb / 4 kg
Bees: 2.2 lb / 1 kg (probably more)

Total / deep: 22 lb / 10 kg (at least)

The rest is honey and pollen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts