Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today January 23, 2010 it got into high forties with sunshine in my part of western Pa.
The hive with the platform scale has shown a loss of sixteen pounds so far this winter, I expected a larger loss of weight.
All of my home yard hives had some bees flying, it was nice to hear a bee buzz by.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Our weather here got up to 50's today but it was cloudy and really windy, not a good day for the bees to fly. I think the scale hive will lose weight rapidly when brood rearing gets into high gear in a few weeks. Good luck.

·
Registered
939 Posts
"I think the scale hive will lose weight rapidly when brood rearing gets into high gear in a few weeks."

Maybe not. The weight of the growing brood might compensate for the loss of honey. Also, if they're producing, then likely pollen and nectar are available too.

I still have to find one of those scales. Seems that the ones I like are 5 states away........

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry, but the weight of brood is no where near the weight of honey. It will lose weight in the weeks before the flow begins.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I dont know the ratio but when you get a chance pick up a frame of brood then one of honey:scratch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts