Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how friendly this is to our bees, other creatures and nearby plants? I have not tried it. Also, is their something unique about blue Dawn dish detergent? Would not any dish detergent work? 101091920_3081420208590974_7591064325826019328_n.jpg

·
Registered
2020 8 hives
159 Posts
This mix is good for killing the top growth ONLY. If you have perennials 'weeds' you will need to reapply as regrowth happens.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Dish soap is my go to wasp killer. Mixed about 1/4 cup/gallon in a sprayer and it will kill them in seconds. For those nests built near human traffic. No need to buy chemical sprays.

Works on most insects. I think they suffocate. They will fly but seem to be in a fleeing mode, and seem to be blinded. Only time I got stung was at night getting them out of a power distribution box. Didn't see the one that landed on my chest. Probably taken out 1000's of nests. Bald face hornet nests requires a 2 gallon sprayer with the nozzle adjusted for a mostly solid spray and jammed into the bottom entrance hole. The pressure foams the entrance and the hornets dribble out.

The only exception is yellow jacket hornet ground or building nests. These I use a sandwich baggy with a plastic straw poked through the corner. You put some Seven dust with air sealed in the baggy and puff it in their entrance at night. They will pick it up coming and going and carry it into the nest.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Does said weed have flowers? If so, its not a weed. What I use on real weeds depends where they are. Usually just cut them down,hot kettle of boiling water or vinegar. Vinegar does kill some weeds,most it knocks back. Repeated doses or cutting deprives them of chlorophyll but does take time. I have learned to love most weeds. My Mom spent her life dedicated to eradicating Creeping Charlie in her yard. My bees love it so the family feud has ended.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have found Vinegar, Salt, and Soap works on most weeks. It seems to work better when it is hot out. It does not work on bindweed though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wife hates creeping charlie. So I kill it in the front yard but it lives peacefully in the back. She's afraid the neighbors will hate us...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I use straight cider vinegar uncut. It works on many things but not really tough weeds like poison ivy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You must not have bind weed/morning glories in your area. I have dug the roots from these out a foot underground and they are difficult to kill. Pulling does not work.
Bindweed is like a glacier, what you see growing above ground is just a small portion of it's total mass. I've seen a plant dug up and mounted on a wall of a classroom unbelievable root system for such a small plant.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Bindweed is like a glacier, what you see growing above ground is just a small portion of it's total mass. I've seen a plant dug up and mounted on a wall of a classroom unbelievable root system for such a small plant.
I believe it, I think I ended up with several gallons of roots when I was digging it up. I got most of it, but not all of it out of a 8 ft x16 ft area that was overgrown. The small shoots that occasionally come up get sprayed with lots of weed killer, and it seems to be slowing down

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to spray every two weeks. I have not seen where I am killing bees by spraying for weeds around the house. Now spraying a field that’s different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts