Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

Is it o.k. to use roundup (the grass/weedkiller) around my hives ? I have gotten behind on some needed chores, and need to really tidy up my bee yard.

What is your opinion of this, and if not roundup, what is your procedure ? I had been mowing as close as I dared, and then pulling up the highest stuff by hand, which ain't no fun.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Gly-4 (Glycophosphate -generic roundup) works fine... use it on all our hives. Too many hives to hand pull!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd be sure to do it on a very calm, cool day, no wind if it all possible.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Roundup works fine, I also use it around all our hives. I spray in the evening right after dark (no rain in forecast). Spray away from the hive entrances. No problems using this product around the bees.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Tall grass and weeds near the hive(not just the entrance) reduce the movement of air around the hives. Use a weed eater to shorten all the weeds and grass. Then in a few days when the cut rubish settles and the new growth is visible spray it with roundup.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have always used round up and/or the generic of it. I have never had any problem. Just use common sense

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use generic round up around my hives but I am extra careful not to spray anything that might be a flower.Also I spray in the evening because the bees are back in the hives and not forageing.However I have found plenty of used carpert that I am going to set my hives on next year.Also I did spray Round up about 2 weeks before I set the bees in place.So far it looks good

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Weed cloth and barks chips. Call your local tree cutting company and ask them to dump off some of the bark shredding they take from the trees they cut and dump that on the cloth. I bought 75 bags of cedar chips last year at 1.99 each and still have some. They work great.

I have also moved to double stacked pallets for my base instead of cinder blocks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I put some tbh's on a 4x8 pallet up on cinder blocks today. my son seen a piece of rubber belt from a gravel pit layin around and suggested putting it under the cinder blocks for weed control. not a bad idea I thought for a 16 year old :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you use roundup make sure you do not spray any flowers because the bees will take it back to the hive and you won't have a hive very long. It works but be extremely how you use it. Also like Isaid yesterday the evening is best. Most flowers close up and the bees are in thehive Roundup works wonders but be careful. I have been killing Burmuda grass and nothing else will work

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If you use roundup make sure you do not spray any flowers because the bees will take it back to the hive and you won't have a hive very long.

I have never heard of anyone losing a hive to Round-Up exposure.

It seems that plants stop producing nectar as soon as they are sprayed. It has been observed that bees immediately stopped working plants after they had been sprayed with a herbicide.

Highly concentrated vinegar will also kill weeds. (You will want to add a couple squirts of liquid dishwashing detergent to each gallon of vinegar as a surfactant.)

In my beeyards, I use my 3 gallon backpack sprayer. I use 4 or 5 ounces of Round-Up, 1 or 2 ounces of Paraquat, and sometimes I add an ounce or two of 2,4-D.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to rant but don't buy anything monsanto makes its all poison....
we buy 50 pound bags of salt mix it with white vinegar kills the weeds every bit as good as roundup but of course minus the poison part.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Not to rant but don't buy anything monsanto makes its all poison....

It's extremely difficult to avoid using Monsanto products.

Salt is extremely toxic to micro-organisms in the soil at levels necessary to control weeds. Salt does not biodegrade, and can poison the soil and surrounding plants.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its not as hard to avoid monsanto as you would like to believe... We run a small sustainable farm(only 45 acres) we have a market garden raise sheep, goats rabbit one milking cow and a beefer several hundred chickens a yr and we very easily manage to do all this without monsanto seed, feed or poisons. Its very easy read the label when it says monsanto or another one of the poison making companies.... Look for a different product. Far as salt being bad for the soil... In vast amounts you are correct but in the amount needed to kill weeds its quite harmless and has been used by organic farmers for many years. In fact for asparagus growers its always been a staple for weed control because asparagus has a high tolerance for salts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts