Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over and over I read "taking a frame of brood won't weaken a strong hive" and "a queen can lay more eggs in a day that there is open space to lay in", etc. So, my question is, if I took two frames of brood yesterday to give to a stalled hive with chalkbrood, and need to give a frame of open brood to a weak, possibly queenless hive to boost population, and possibly make a queen from, I'll have taken three brood frames in two days. This is essentially making a "split" by weakening the donor hive by a third of its brood. I'd still like this hive to make honey. Our main flow is days to at most, a couple of weeks away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Question for that colony is do they have enough emerging bees to take up the jobs that those other bees would have filled... Emerging bees arent going to be doing the jobs as guarding, acting as vents, or foraging.. With those other baby bees gone. Some of the jobs as babysitting( feeding ) and warming are no longer needed thus they can shuffle jobs into nectar collection thus forager bees can hustle back to get more thus more honey.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
In that case wouldn't the hive be weakened?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts