Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have one hive that is just 1 pound or so of bees left in it from overwintering. They have a small amount of brood in the last upper super where they had migrated to during the winter. Some stores are still in it and I see bees sporadically moving in and out on pretty days. I moved the deep on top of the super hoping she would blow up, fill the super and move up, then I was going to switch them back and put on an excluder to keep her down. When I checked a little over a week ago there were eggs present and now some capped brood. Is she just starting slow and only laying as much as the workers can cover to warm and tend... or do I have a problem? Or is it just early and I need to be patient?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would reduce the amount of space available to better fit the bees. One pound should fit well into a five-frame nuc. Give them more space as they increase in numbers.

With so few bees present, they will likely be slow to really get going. If you have stronger hives, you could give them a frame or two from one of your stronger hives.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just as Kieck said with a small weak hive they will be very slow to build up. I've had hives like yours before and many times they aren't very strong until very late in the season, which is too late for any honey crop or splitting for that matter. If you have other hives I would probably look at dropping a frame of capped brood in there and possibly getting a new queen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts