Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 2 pkgs in new hives 3-27; one have is very strong and doing excellent. The other hive has seemed to be somewhat behind from getgo. Discovered SHB and larva in pollen patty last Thursday 4-22. Plan on going back in hive tomorrow to check it very close and install bettle traps. Should that work if larva is not observed in comb?? Any idea on how to strengthen the week hive??? Would it be a bad idea to consider taking a frame of brood out of my strong hive and put in the weak hive?? From everything I have seen posted, CheckMite seems to be the only chemical available for beetles other than various types of traps. I have a SBB on both hives and can put a corrugated sheet under it to check for mites. I'm not sure, but don't believe there is room for any type of tray on Brushy Mt. SSB's for oil trap?? Any ideas would be appreciated. FYI there seems to be at least a 6 to 1 ratio of bees coming back to strong hive vs weak hive. Bees w/ pollen seem to be more like 10-1 strong vs weak hive. I have been feeding both hives since installation of bees on 3-27. The weak hive has 6 of 8 frames drawn and the strong hive has had another 8-frame deep added. I'm not sure whether part of the problem is a slow laying queen in the weak hive or just SHBs... Hopefully after a close check tomorrow there will be some answers. Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The west hive beetle trap works - oil tray. Check out www.greenbeehives.com for a bottom board good for beetles and mites.
another quick fix is to brush off most off the bees off a frame and knock the beetles onto the hive top and go to mashing - lowers their numbers quickly.

moving a frame to the weak hive is a good way to give them a bump.

I had a weak queen that they did not superceed and the beetles took it over and I lost the hive.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some beetle traps are made with #8 mesh, which is fine for varroa & they swear that the beetle can go diagonally thru that size - I don't believe it, but have no experience.

I use #6 mesh in my traps like the ones nkhd1 suggested http://www.greenbeehives.com

And they work great - no bees thru the screen. I'm not a big fan of the flimsy aluminum tray, & I attach a sloping board above the tray in the back to help keep rain out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you have lots of shb they can make a hive weak. They can eat brood and eggs to the point of wearing the queen out.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
When there are more small hive beetles than the workers can imprison, it is time for Checkmite +. When they start destroying comb, frothing honey, oily appearance on comb it is too late for traps and squishing. You have a few days or weeks until the hive is dead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the imput; went back into the hive today and found only one SHB -- installed two types of traps w/ oil -- combs looked good so far. ASAP plan to upgrade to SBB w/oil pan under it which seems to be best solution for the long haul. Thanks again for all the comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts