Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice warm day to check colonies today. One hive doing great. Lots of pollen coming in and lots of bees with capped brood. The second hive has very little activity. Nobody's bringing in pollen or cleaning out the dead bees. I could not find the queen or any brood. I cleaned out dead bees and closed it up. I treated for mites in the fall.

Should I give them a frame of eggs and bees from the other hive? Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are there enough bees in the weak hive to cover a frame of brood? If so and you have plenty in your strong hive I'd try it. Any drones flying yet where you are?

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
The way it sounds to me that colony has little hope or there would be pollen coming in. I bet it is a long time til queen raising time. If there are a pound that's over 3000, I would do a newspaper combine with your strong colony to give them a purpose in life. If it is a few hundred strugglers you may not even want them taking their troubles to another colony and should just let them die out or shake them out in the grass going into a cold night. The latter is really hard for me but is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now, that's a bummer. I've got a package and some queens coming in a month. Way too late, I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Should I give them a frame of eggs and bees from the other hive? Thoughts?
Yes, as long as there are enough bees to keep the brood covered. You could move the weak hive to where the strong one is and vice versa so the field force from the strong one will then be going to the weak one.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Describe the size of the weak hive. How many boxes, frames of bees and such.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Describe the size of the weak hive. How many boxes, frames of bees and such.
Two ten frames deeps. 90% drawn. The queen was never great and should have pinched her last fall. Still some honey left. I think there are enough bees to get it going. Most bees are in the top. I think I'll reverse the boxes, make sure the best resources are in the bottom, shake everybody in, and get rid of the top. If it looks like I've still got enough bees in a day or so, I'll grab some eggs and nurse bees from the strong hive. We should have drones by the time they make a queen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, it's done. Eggs to the weak hive. Locations swapped. Hope this advise wasn't an April fools joke! I'll let you know how it works.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Yeah, I just realized I dug into my hives on April fools day.:shhhh:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
OK, it's done. Eggs to the weak hive. Locations swapped. Hope this advise wasn't an April fools joke! I'll let you know how it works.
You can tell when I am trying to be funny by the Smiley Face Icon. Otherwise assume any advice I give is given seriously. Also that I have done it myself. If I advise someone to do something I haven't done myself I will say "I have heard ..." or "I have read ...". This is not written defensively, just explaining where I come from.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can tell when I am trying to be funny by the Smiley Face Icon. Otherwise assume any advice I give is given seriously. Also that I have done it myself. If I advise someone to do something I haven't done myself I will say "I have heard ..." or "I have read ...". This is not written defensively, just explaining where I come from.
I appreciate the sharing of your experience!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts