Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first spring after overwintering my 3 hives. Due to work and travel and a wet cold spring so far, I finally got to open my hives yesterday for the first time. One hive is strong--I saw larvae although I didn't see the queen and returning bees are loaded with pollen. The 2nd hive has lots of bees and stores, but I don't think I saw any brood or eggs (I'm not very good at eggs yet). I didn't look at every frame though. The returning bees didn't seem to be carrying much pollen. The third hive has few bees, lots of moldy frames, and a few clusters of drone cells, some that are moldy. This was a hive that swarmed last June, but seems to recover and was a fairly strong in the fall. So I'm assuming that now I have a laying worker, and probably have had one for a while. My first (lone) hive 2 years ago failed because of queen problems and I couldn't get them to accept a new one since a worker had already started laying. In this case, should I just let the hive die off and then look for a swarm this summer, or split the strong hive in a few months? I don't want to spend the money again on a queen that won't be accepted or order a new package while there are still bees "at home." I'm not sure how much brood I have in my other two hives (probably need to know that first). If there is a laying worker I don't want to try to give that hive a frame of eggs from the strong hive--they wouldn't try to raise a queen if they don't think they need one, right? Thanks to all you experienced beekeepers who take the time to help us novices on this site!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm also a novice however I can relate. I actually got a laying worker nuc and managed to transplant them into my new hive, after a few weeks I noticed this and so with a queenright hive I did the newspaper trick, so old colony on the bottom (single deep) and new colony ont he top and within a few days they had chewed the paper. I fed them during the process to stop the fighting and the queen is going strong still today all was good.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terrific! Thanks for doing my homework for me--I now have a couple of options. I will check the hive again this week and assess the numbers. If they are very small, I will shake out the bees and put the boxes on my other frames to clean up, then do a split when we get a good nectar flow. If it seems like there's still a fair number of bees, I will try the once-a-week frame method. Never a dull moment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts