Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still fairly new to this. I have a colony that survived a tough winter here in Vermont, maybe because I left them with loads of honey last fall. There is still honey left, and though the colony is alive and the queen is there, they seem really weak and lethargic. There is some capped brood and maybe a few dozen eggs and larva, but there has been no real change since last week when I looked in. Not a lot of egg production.... The hive is in an orchard and we are just coming out of the apple blossom season, so they have good stores of pollen. No signs of superseding either. The spring has been cool here, and maybe this bunch is just waking up slowly. But I expected more activity by now. Sound like I am just being impatient and over-concerned or should I be looking for something else other than the things I listed above?

Related question: there are still six frames in a super from this colony in addition to a few frames in one of the deep boxes. Should I take the super and put it on a neighboring hive? It seems like they are not digging into these frames, and they still have other frames that are loaded with honey as well. Or should I take it for myself?

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Do you have any picture of the brood? Also any pictures of comb that has had one brood cycle in it - ie empty yellow comb with a patch of brown in the center.

Any additives in their syrup, while feeding last year or this year?

What mite treatments have you used?

Where did the bees come from? Package, last year?

How many hive do you have?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts