Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a kit with 2 deep and 2 mediums. After looking at the bodies I will never purchase bodies again....We will make our own. I do have my purchased kit almost ready. I will still use the vender I bought the kit from for other things....

Kenny

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kaveman, A lot of bee keepers are handy with a table saw and make most if not all of their wooden ware. I do buy frames but I've never bought any bodies or tops or bottoms. I won a hive set up when I took a beginning beekeeping class so I had a model to go by. Then I found out about bee source and there's great plans you can download. I do pay more for materials than if I'd have bought the components from a dealer.

Good Luck on your journey.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I recently picked up a nice used table saw on Craigslist just for that reason. The trick is to find the wood.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Unless you have a cheap local source for wood, I don't see how you come out ahead making your own. I can't buy the lumber that cheap...
I got enough rough cut 1x8 spruce to do 5 x 8 frame mediums for $20 (2 16' boards)

sure at huge volume the time aspect becomes more costly than saving a few bucks on woodware but for a few hobby hives it works out.

luckily my dad is a contractor/carpenter so he has the tools and skills to help me be more efficient than i'd be alone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
3/4 plywood is $25 for 4'8' sheet at Home Depot.... I was able to build a complete hive - 2 deeps, 2 shallows, bottom board and cover for $25 plus paint!!!!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
MB - You may notice that some places have more trees than Nebraska, hence the price of wood is different.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm lazy and would love to buy them already built but the wife would know what I'm up to,She thinks we have enough hives....
I just happen to come home with a few pieces of wood at a time....can't help what happens to it when it gets here.:D

I did figure it out and it is cheaper for me to build than buy (helps when you have more time than money).

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There are some places that will produce woodenware (supers) to suit my specifications, but they're nowhere near as fun as making them myself.

Though that's true of supers/boxes, nowhere do they make frames, the way I like them made. And, besides my time (it's therapeutic), I can make them for less than $.20 each, in materials (douglas fir).

·
Registered
240 Posts
We have a local member in our club who sells assembled hive bodies for $2 more than Mannlakes unassembled hive body kit. I recommend them to our club members who are looking to expand and don't have the equipment or time. Now if I could find someone to build my long Langs to my specifications I too would consider buying versus building.:rolleyes:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>MB - You may notice that some places have more trees than Nebraska, hence the price of wood is different.

I don't think there is anywhere with LESS tress than Nebraska unless it's the tundra... :) Yes, it may be if there is local wood (I notice the last pine I bought at Home Depot came from Norway...) and local mills you might save money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts