Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to brag a bit. This is the first year for a buddy and me. We put in 4 packages this spring just on foundation. One hive lost a queen but we finally have that under control. After all my reading I really didn’t think we’d get much if any honey this year. But about 3 weeks ago both brood boxes on three of the hives sure appeared to be mostly drawn and covered with bees, so we put on supers. We’ve been checking every week since then and nothing. No drawn comb and just a few bees up in the super wandering around on the foundation.

Well last night we checked the hives and WOW all three supers were drawn and almost totally full. None of the honey was capped yet but almost all of the frames were drawn. So I had to rush back home and put foundation in more supers and put them on last night. This is fun!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I meant evening. Kind of fun to sit out next to the hives and watch them all turning in for the night.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sound alot like my 2nd year.Got caught way off guard with the flow.Had 3 hives 2 new packages and a swarm.I had left for 4 days over the 4th of july.Up till then not much was happening.I came home and the single super i had on were all full.I worked till early morning putting some super and frames together.I got 120 lb from each hive.

It is a great feelling when you get that first crop of honey.I allways see people post here that packages will not make hone the fist year.I have found they do alot of years so be ready is the key.

A great job you and your buddy did.So how many hive you planning on next season?lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Interesting on how they can go from doing nothing upstairs to filling the supers in a few days. 1) coulda been timing in regards to a flow or 2) they decided not to swarm and are thinking of winter. Can you tell I have been reading Walts manuscript...lol... Great isnt it ...Rick

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes it is iteresting how it all happens so fast at time and then so low others.I am still waiting for the fast honey flow,and it will be soon i am sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts