Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering, does anyone forsee a problem with using medium frames in these boxes? I can only find these boxes in deeps. it seems they would be cost effective to use for splits and swarm traps, instead of time spent building them.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
I've done it and they build on the bottom of the frame once the top is full. You end up having to destroy the bottom comb if you want to put them back in a medium.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've never seen one except in catalogs. can they be easily cut down? time is not on my side at the moment. they would obviously be time/cost efficient. how do they hold up to weather. mainly looking to do splits and probly use a few for traps.
thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies thats what i was wanting to know. sounds like they will work temporarily. when using as swarm traps, what kind of frames do you guys normally run in them? 1drawn comb, all drawn, all foundation, foundationless. i need to increase this year. hopefully a few splits with a few swarms will be about right.
thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I wish they would begin to make them out of the corregated plastic board, that is replacing cardboard.
they do, check the new dadant catalog, I think its called the "Jester Nuc". 5 frame nuc from corrugated plastic. I bought nucs from Jester last year and they came in these plastic boxes. I like them a whole lot better than the cardboard.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
There's a supply catalog out there that has just that. However, the plastic doesn't effectively stop the light the way cardboard does. From what I know, swarms (and hives) want there homes dark. I've got 5 of the carboard type. I use one to haul and freeze my drone comb in. The others I use as swarm traps. They are nice and light but the elements are rough on them. I've got a couple I'll feel lucky if I get another season out of. That's unfortunate as they are the ones that have had hives in that have left plenty of great smells for a swarm. I've gone to making my own as they are less expensive and much more durable.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238983

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
D Coates, i saw your nucs on another thread. very nice,easy to make. good idea. but it will probably be fall before i get the time to work in the shop much. i was looking for something to use temp. i will purchase some to use temp, and will make some of yours this fall.
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts