Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first year beek so questions are many. Just posted about a messed up couple of frames in one of my boxes they were waxed together and I took them out and am going to replace them with new clean frames of wax that they will have to draw out (they were stuck together and I pulled them apart ripping the wax). All of that is pretty normal i guess. After posting I lurked around and read several other posts one about extracting. Is seems sort of difficult for someone with just two hives.......
In the future I was wondering about forgoing the store bought wax and letting the bees build their own. I can't see how this would be too much work for them. Would it take to long for them to build it back up?
Is there an easier way to extract? Without tearing up all the wax?

Thanks
Kelli

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
1. They will build foundationless frames faster than with foundation because it is what they do in nature. 2. Extracting honey usually implies using an extractor ...so are you talking about crushing and straining?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will have to be crush and strain no other options I was totally unprepared. In every area. I did not think they would fill these two boxes with honey thought they would put some brood. I just ordered more boxes and will slam them on in the morning. Guess this creates a whole nother question...... Since these boxes are full of honey I know I need to add another box do I just stick it on top? I want to leave them with plently of winter food but it only took them a bit over two weeks to completely fill these so at least it seems to me as if I might be able to get a few more frames for my morning tea???

Thanks for your help
Kelli

·
Registered
913 Posts
Are you sure there's nothing but honey? Your queen is laying, correct? You see eggs and larvae? If so, there's gotta be capped brood as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is capped brood, went in today to make sure. Does not seem to be as much as before they started making honey tho.......

tons of honey. Even the bottom box had 1 frame. The rest was brood, pollen and some honey.

Kelli

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Your original question about foundationless vs. foundation...
They may draw foundationless faster (I am not sure of this) but the problem is you have to watch it and be ready to go in and arrange the frames or clean up if they start to draw it wrong. Also the hive must be very close to level to get good straight comb.

I like foundation myself. They draw it fast (I personally don't see much difference in the speed of drawing the two) and you don't need to worry so much about leveling. They sometime will mess it up but from what I have experienced it is far less than foundationless.

That said - I am using a lot of foundationless this year because I couldn't justify the costs for foundation for all the new frames I was needing.

I plan (if God is willing) to build a homemade extractor. Looks like it will be able to handle 3 meds or maybe 2 deeps at a time.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts