Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some white "new" combs of wax that I rendered. Now in most wax renderings, you will have blackened water, a mass of dirt, caccoons, and stuff that collects below the wax. I normally let it harden in the tub and then pull the entire wax block out and scrap the bottom of this stuff.

In doing the new comb wax, the water is almost clear and very little dirt collected. I was surprised to find below the 1.5 inches of wax, but about 2 inches of light spongy stuff. I can't believe there is that much waste. And it seems to be wax in the material as I rub it between my fingers. Did the wax not boil long enough? Would it worth it to render this "mass" again, and will it produce any amount of wax?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would pull the hard wax and try remelting the spongy stuff.

Heres a question maybe someone could answer,
If I keep wax in boiling water long enough will the wax breakdown and disenegrate when it cools?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>I was surprised to find below the 1.5 inches of wax, but about 2 inches of light spongy stuff. I can't believe there is that much waste. And it seems to be wax in the material as I rub it between my fingers. Did the wax not boil long enough? Would it worth it to render this "mass" again, and will it produce any amount of wax?

I would render it again. I'm guessing you'll get some wax.

>Heres a question maybe someone could answer,
If I keep wax in boiling water long enough will the wax breakdown and disenegrate when it cools?

It seems like some of it changes some, like the spongy stuff that Bjorn is talking about. I think it is reacting to the minerals in the water. Sort of like a "soap scum" on your bathtub. But I think there is a point where it won't make any more of it no matter how much you boil it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was hoping that if I boiled my kitchen utilises long enough then the wax you disenegrate.
My wife still reminds me about using her pots/pans/spoon for my wax rendering.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Oregonspike, go to goodwill and pick up what you need, you will have a hard time removing all the wax from your wifes pots and pans, plus you can use them when-ever.

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks loggermike. It held alot of water, thats for sure. After a debate with my wife, I scapped it off in the garbage. I guess I'll know for the next time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Silverfox,

I have other pot/pans I use now but I was looking for a better way to clean up the mess with the wifes dishes that I made a couple months ago. I was hoping that I could treat the wax coated items in such a way that the wax would breakdown and be removed easier.

I tried boiling the items but since wax floats, removing them from the pan still gets a coating of wax on them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think my wife already tried that(while she was glaring at me). I tried boiling for a long time. Only thing I havent tried is some of that stuff I have seen in a few catalogs that claims will remove wax.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oregonsparkle, try putting the utensils in boiling water, as before, but let the water cool and the wax harden. You can then easily remove the utensils without getting wax on them again.

That is what I did.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Terri,

DDDDUUUUUHHHHHH.... Sometimes the most obvious is seen the last. Thanks for the wonderful advice..

You just save me somemore wifey brow beating

[This message has been edited by oregonsparkie (edited July 18, 2004).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
I put candleholders in the freezer, then the wax just pops off with a butter knife. I don't know if that would work with the pans, but it might with spoons and such - if you didn't use the wooden ones!

Go to goodwill.

Martha

·
Registered
537 Posts
BJB,

I have encountered that spongy stuff before, and had good luck running it through a solar melter.

------------------
Rob Koss

·
Registered
257 Posts
i bought the large stainless steele pans along with one that had drain holes (used in commercial kitchens) for a capping scraper/catcher
i wanted to get them as clean as possible so after i got most of it out i stuck it in the oven - very low heat - till the wax was melted then took a paper towel and wiped them clean. I had to reheat the pan several times to get all the wax wiped off but it worked like a charm!
they dont even look like they even had wax in them
dont forget to use a pot holder

1 - 17 of 17 Posts