Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking info on how to purify beeswax for cosmetic product use, if even possible. I'm concerned about not only mite treatment chemical residue, but environmental contaminants. I've searched the site and don't see what I'm looking for, but may be missing it. TIA

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
You can't as far as I know. If it's in the wax it there forever.
You need to buy wax that is known purity and graded for cosmetic use

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
You will want cappings wax. Cappings wax is new wax every year and is cut off the honey supers when honey is being harvested. Chemical treatments are not being applied while this wax is being produced or even present in the hive. About as guaranteed chemical free as you can get. Do not know if you are a beekeeper or not, so you may already know all of this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will want cappings wax. Cappings wax is new wax every year and is cut off the honey supers when honey is being harvested. Chemical treatments are not being applied while this wax is being produced or even present in the hive. About as guaranteed chemical free as you can get. Do not know if you are a beekeeper or not, so you may already know all of this.
Great to know that, thank you. I kept bees for 2 years, but I've never been certain as to the purity of the wax

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
I just want to point out the word you are using "purity" .
If you are thinking of selling it then you can not know the Purity unless you test it.
Since you can not see where Your bees are going it is a bit hard to know.

FYI, I also think 'organic honey/bees' is also a joke since you can not control where they are going, eating, breeding etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Seeking info on how to purify beeswax for cosmetic product use, if even possible. I'm concerned about not only mite treatment chemical residue, but environmental contaminants. I've searched the site and don't see what I'm looking for, but may be missing it. TIA
I use only cappings wax from my own hives. I also do not use any mite treatment until the honey is removed. This is not the best way to treat mites but does produce quality wax. I lost more hives by treating this year than when I didn't treat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I thought to be considered "Certified Organic" the hives had to be surrounded by 80,000 acres of Non-pesticide land. I would think that if that is the requirement, there is not certified organic honey unless you go to northern Canada or the the middle of Yellowstone.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I thought to be considered "Certified Organic" the hives had to be surrounded by 80,000 acres of Non-pesticide land. I would think that if that is the requirement, there is not certified organic honey unless you go to northern Canada or the the middle of Yellowstone.
The sonoran desert would be another place to get potentially 'organic' honey

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sunlight is a great purifier of beeswax. Pour it out in a thin sheet and leave it in the sun until it bleaches white. Most of the pesticides break down in sunlight.
Except the heavy metals like arsenic, pesticides are usually loaded with arsenic, it just stays there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts