Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says. Anyone have a rough idea on amount of wax harvested per 100 pounds of honeycomb (crush and strain) ? Trying to figure rough wax profit for 50 tbh’s.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
It will depend on the length and depth of your bars and whether or not they are honey comb or brood comb bars. I recover less wax from brood bars that they fill with honey. From my 19" long (17" interior length) and 10" deep bars that weigh 5-7 pounds at harvest including the bar, I recover approx. 1 oz of beeswax from each bar.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Unless you have a system to press the melted brood comb the cocoons hold the liquid wax like a sponge! I dont even bother. With 50 hives though, it would be worthwhile to rig up something.

I remember seeing on one of Dee Lusby's vids them using something that looked like coffee bean bags stacked in a press container with steam injection.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ruthiesbees my tbh combs are about the same as yours. Was figuring about 1lb per 100 lbs so you seem to be right on.

Crafter I have steam processing available along with solar wax melting can retrieve up 90% of wax. Lusby’s use wax press not will to invest in one yet if they can still be purchased.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts