Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to complete a vanity I made and am thinking of applying beeswax on it as a polish and "preserver". I assume that I need to cut the wax with something. I only found one recipe here but it included diesel fuel which I will not use. Anyone have a recipe?
I do have some "spoon butter" I made and suppose it would work but am thinking that the beeswax furniture polish I have used in the past was much harder.
Thanks, J

·
Registered
969 Posts
This week I refinished a table. Final coat was 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 vegetable oil. The same stuff I use on my hands.

I did thin it with a splash of paint thinner to make it easier to spread on the table surface.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yep, I could have searched the google, but I trust what I get here. No problem with mineral oil on furniture, but I don't use it on utensils. Maybe I will try the thinner if its too thick. J

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,821 Posts
A woman that gave a hive products demo at out bee club uses 50% oderless mineral spirits and 50% beeswax. I have not tried this yet. I assume you want a carrier that will evaporate and leave only the beeswax behind,

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave and JW. I happen to have Jojoba oil from making wraps, so maybe I will try that. I also have odorless mineral spirits, so maybe I will do a small batch of each and see what I like. That's today's house arrest project.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,821 Posts
Please let us know which you prefer. I do not have jojoba oil but may need to get some.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just made the jojoba. When it cools, I will do the mineral spirits. Will test each tomorrow and let you know what I think. On a different, but related topic, I am opening up my last jar of kraut tonight for reuben sandwiches with homemade russian dressing. I have been making my own dressings lately and I can't believe how simple most are and how much better they taste. J

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made small batches of 50/50 wax and odorless mineral spirits and 4 parts jojoba oil to 1 part wax. The jojoba mix solidified quicker and popped right out of the silicone ice cube tray. I had to work to get the mineral spirits one out but could have popped it in the freezer for easier removal. Both were about the hardness of the lip balm we make, so I think both would need more liquid to make it softer and more like a paste. I rubbed both on a piece of stained scrap. Both seemed to haze over and dry at the same rate. Both buffed out at about the same sheen. Jojoba was a little easier to buff. Both smell like beeswax. Really couldn't detect the oil or spirits. Bottom line is it was a tie, but if I needed to make a lot, I would add more liquid so the mineral spirits would be much cheaper than the jojoba oil. J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts