Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked a very strong hive and it is being overtaken by wax moths, hundreds of small larvae. What could I do to over come this problem and how can it be prevented?
Thanks
John
Florida Panhandle

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Define "very strong hive". It is unusual for wax moths to take hold in a strong colony.

Are you sure it is not small hive beetle???

Wax moths are best prevented (other than strong hives) by Certan sprayed on the combs. It will kill the larva.

[ May 16, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I've never seen a strong hive taken over by wax moth larvae. I've seen lots of weak ones taken over. What do the larva look like? Spikes on their backs? Smooth? The SHB larvae have spikes.

I'm guessing SHB.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have agree with Sundance and Michael sounds like Small Hive Beetles. Especially considering where you live.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
yup,yup,yup on all the above but a strong hive wouldn't be taking over by either so I would guest this hive cant be strong any longer, easy way to tell is see if the hive has webs in the cells but I would bet SHB larva also..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sounds like SHB they will take a hive down in a hurry :( . In particular a package or hive with more comb than the bees can protect.

[ May 17, 2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: sc-bee ]

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use diatomacious earth on the insert board of SBB out of bees reach. When beetles and larvee get in it they don't come out. But thats me. If you get DE be sure to get it for insect control and not Pool filter kind. DE is processed dif and not effective.

P.S. keep out of reach of bees.... or at least the ones you want to keep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts