Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my hives after dark one warmer night two weeks ago. Was surprised to find so many hanging on the sides and backs of the hives caught about 20 the first night. Fed them to the son's geckos :) first good meal this year.

Check every other night I find one or two. Not sure if it will reduces the population to make a difference but it worth 3 mins it takes to check.

Ponder ideas for a trap. First idea: hard ware cloth that will let moths in and not bees then some fly paper inside. Second a trap like a square minnow trap that will be move in and out every night so not to catch bees.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hate to say it but I think its going to be a tough year dealing with the Wax Moths :( If any of your ideas work let us know.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Was cleaning up some dead hives out in one of my yards and found a large wax moth underneath the outer cover when I took it off, I couldn't believe I was seeing one this early already. June yes, but not mid-April.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Same here, was setting up nucs for spring swarms and saw several wax moths. I thought I was crazy until I started seeing more. Ours usually appear June also.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same here, was setting up nucs for spring swarms and saw several wax moths. I thought I was crazy until I started seeing more. Ours usually appear June also.
I am in Northern California and I found 3 wax months during inspections this week.. There was one each in the 3 nucs I had going... Only had damage to the smallest nuc... I checked my 2 large hives and nothing in them so I think they were just going after the smaller nucs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts