Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another mistake, made a split in June, was given some used hive bodies. I am sure I scorched them, but anyway, I now have hundreds of cream colored larve in this hive. I am quiet sure they are wax moths. Removed 2 frames, that were loaded with larve, tied up in plastic bag. Order some Xantari which should be in hopefully tuesday. Now OK, the hive is weak, queen needs to go to a better place, but it's to late in the year for that. I am going to shake the bees of the frames, lightly spray the frames, sides of the bodies, return them and see what happens.If they survive with the larve gone I will reduce to a nuc box ( new). How long can a wax moth egg live in old woodenware? Now any suggestions on how to try and save this colony would be appreciated. I do have some new hive bodies to use, but I am going to have to put some honey frames with them. Thanks as always

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Replace what you can with what you have. Systematically freeze for 24 hrs every thing else and then you can put it back(so long as it is not too far gone). If that's the case, strip and render the wax, and you can ""re-paint" the wax on the foundation. They might draw it out if they need it. If your bees have too much room they can not take care of (defend) what they have. Just my thoughts

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's my mistake, I tried to get them to expand to fast, gave them more than they could defend. I hope I can save enought to make a 9 frame hive, if not a nuc. They are going throught about a quart of 1 to 1 daily. I shall try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts