Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that freezing will kill larvae and eggs

How long does a frame and foundation need to be frozen for the larvae and eggs to be killed

Thanks...1/33rd

·
Registered
782 Posts
As long as you can? I freeze mine and normally it is for about a week. That's mostly because I have other things going on and don't get back to the freezer right away.

I've also read on here where some (M. Palmer? But I could be wrong) don't believe it kills the eggs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I freeze for 72 hrs. minimum and then I leave in an open storage box in my house until they come to room temp. I then store the frames (4 months or until needed) in a plastic storage bin, again in my house, and I've never had wax moth or hive beetle worms. I use Sterilite 64qt. latching box 23 3/4L x 16W x 13 1/2H. If you invert every other frame you can store quite a few in one box. I also store my super frames at the end of the season the same way. I just let the bees dry the extracted frames before I pull them and freeze them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.