Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that freezing will kill larvae and eggs

How long does a frame and foundation need to be frozen for the larvae and eggs to be killed

Thanks...1/33rd

·
Registered
648 Posts
As long as you can? I freeze mine and normally it is for about a week. That's mostly because I have other things going on and don't get back to the freezer right away.

I've also read on here where some (M. Palmer? But I could be wrong) don't believe it kills the eggs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I freeze for 72 hrs. minimum and then I leave in an open storage box in my house until they come to room temp. I then store the frames (4 months or until needed) in a plastic storage bin, again in my house, and I've never had wax moth or hive beetle worms. I use Sterilite 64qt. latching box 23 3/4L x 16W x 13 1/2H. If you invert every other frame you can store quite a few in one box. I also store my super frames at the end of the season the same way. I just let the bees dry the extracted frames before I pull them and freeze them.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Some freezers run at a much lower temperature than others. I suspect that freezing failures regarding killing eggs are as a result of the freezer used not being cold enough.

I insert for a minimum of 48hrs - a longer period certainly wouldn't hurt.
LJ

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

I'm gonna try the freezer--Not much to lose I reckon

1/33rd

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Nothing to lose, but spraying with BT is more reliable. Store in open air with plenty of light or sealed bin. Keep in freezer if you have the room. J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts