Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the wax moths in my stored supers I have heard spraying with bt is a good prevention but it seems it is hard to find anybody know where to purchase?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks radar I should have just pm you , you seem to know everything I have another question if this product works and it has to do with beekeeping how come it isnt in any beekeeping catalogs?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Caterpillar Killer is the name of the BT I use. I never can find it in the big box stores; but the local small town hardware has it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Wax moth issue where to get Bt 'Aizawai'

If you used the forum search feature, for "bt", you might have located this post. And in that thread there is contact info on obtaining Bt 'Aizawai'.

I've also purchased it from Beeworks, in Canada. They have the product identified as B401 or Certan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well I got the wax moths in my stored supers I have heard spraying with bt is a good prevention but it seems it is hard to find anybody know where to purchase?

I ordered some from Amazon. I believe it was also prime free shipping.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I have 80 deeps and 40 shallows that I've sprayed down with the stuff. I hope to never see wax moth damage anymore, at least not in these hives.

Can people that have actually used this product please post their finding.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It sure is nice to see a wax moth larvae that started out munching on your comb and is only 1/4" long and had only made it an inch or so and died because of bt.Its also nice to not have to clean out all those cocoons they leave and not have all your wooden ware full of hole from them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The stuff seems a bit pricey untill you think about the cost of replacing wooden ware and wax foundation because of the worms.Then also one of those bags goes a long long way.You can treat lots of hives boxes and frames and wax with one of those bags which makes it well worth its cost.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Been using BT 7 years with very good results. I get a little moth damage but it isn't bad.
Just bought a fresh bag of the Xtera to refresh my stock

·
Registered
776 Posts
Does this sound about right?

I've been mixing a heaping tablespoon to one gallon of non chlorinated water. Then I shake it up and spray everything till it's wet, shaking as I go. Then I stack the boxes up and let them dry. Some of the frames are drawn out with wax and some aren't.

I have some comb that's gotten eaten up by the moths stacked up till I can get to them. I'm thinking of just spraying them down and letting my new splits clean them up. Will this be ok you think? Maybe one in each nuc?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I use city water too with no problems.

After spraying I initially stack up the boxes crossed for a couple of days to allow plenty of air flow so the frames are completely dry. Don't want any mold on the wax from trapped moisture. Then re-stack them in the regular way for winter, and seal off the top and bottom to keep the mice out.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I wonder which strain of bt would kill hive beetle larvae.I would be willing to bet one of them would but which one and if the makers of bt are testing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts