Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hive that died out last fall, bees probably got sprayed by aerial applicator, and the wax moths did a lot of damage before I discovered the problem. How thoroughly do I need to clean them up before using the frames again? Lots of webbing and tunnels through the comb and some cocoons around the edges. They have been outside and exposed to single digit temps so I'm not worried about survival of the pupae in the cocoon but do wonder about the mess and reusing the frames. What is your advice?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the comb are not totally ruined use a stiff bristled brush and remove the webbing that you can. The bees will clean up the rest.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
DO be concerned about the cocoons. Open a few and see if you do not find a juicy, viable pupa. I suppose you have butterflys there??
Walt.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Walt is right. Single digit temps are cold, but I don't know how long the temps were low. Double check. Beyond that, as mentioned, the bees do a pretty good job cleaning things up. Helping them out a bit doesn't hurt. I use a dead out as an excuse to rotate old comb so if it's old AND damaged, it goes into the wax melter!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts