Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 20 55 gal drums of wax cappings I need to melt down. What's the best form or mold to use and where do you get them? I might be making foundation at some point out of the wax, will this make a difference in what size or shape it's molded? Thanx.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Add 15 gallons of water to the drum of wax. Heat drum with a propane burner, or tiger torch if you have one. Once melted turn heat off, wait a day or 2 then turn drum upside down, to beat the wax out of the drum. repeat 19 more times.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I buy black plastic containers at Wal-mart in the homewares dept. They have two sizes, get the larger. Brand name is Sterilite, 18 quart. Filled with wax they weigh about 30 lbs and are easy to handle. The wax pops right out. For the foundation you'll have to remelt anyway, so I don't think you need any particular size blocks.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Use a mold in the size most convenient for your ultimate use, keeping in mind if sides are smooth the wax will come out easiest. Lots of folks render into a 5 gal pail. We personally used dishpans for many years. Now, wanting smaller blocks to fit in the smaller melter for fine filtering, we use the plastic storage boxes sized for shoes.
Sheri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts