Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been removing the old yucky and non-small cell frames from my hives. I have cut out the wax or scraped off (in the case of duragilt) and melted in my crockpot (old free one for wax melting).

I have strained it once, put the junk back in with some water to see if I can get anything more out of the gunk.

What do I do with the cocoons and stuff? Would they be ok in the compost? Or should I just pitch them into the trash?

Thanks,
Martha

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
>What do I do with the cocoons and stuff? Would they be ok in the compost?

Absolutely!

Or should I just pitch them into the trash?

Absolutely not! bee earth friendly, by all means.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking last night looking at it all. Could I put it out for the bees to get what they could out of it? I think that any disease elements would have been boiled to death.

I don't have chickens, but loads of other birds - grackles, starlings, cardinals, mourning doves and all kinds of little wrens/sparrows and finches.

Thanks,
Martha

·
Registered
537 Posts
Martha,

I put mine in the compost pile. Another idea from a friend of mine - he wraps about a handful of the "stuff" or slumgum in several sheets of newspaper. He says these make great firestarters. I have not tried this myself so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts