Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of old plastic frames (unwaxed) that the bees don't like to draw out. I pressure washed them to get off any residue but the bees still won't draw them unless I dip them in beeswax. I bought a melter from a company that is in the shop getting fixed more than it is in use! I need a better system. Any suggestions for a replacement melter? I need it to hold 40-50 lbs of wax and be large enough to dip a 7 5/8" frame. Thanks in advance for any ideas....Chip

·
Registered
776 Posts
BTW.... We have a Maxant water jacketed tank and think their stuff is the best. You could also try a large pot from a restaurant supply place and a turkey frier. We do this also for the really nasty wax.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll look into that. What I bought was designed to melt beeswax and it works great when it's not in the repair shop. Probably the most unreliable machine I've ever bought!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
My understanding is that if the wax is hot enough to be liquid it will be hot enough to damage the plastic foundation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Waxmelters. Haven't noticed any damage to the plastic and it's set at 212F. Any cooler and it's pretty thick and wasteful of wax. I've done a couple thousand frames and the bees draw it out well with a thin wax coating.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Try pre-warming the frames to reduce the thickness of wax that is left behind, Sqkcrk - yes, if he held the frame in for any length of time, I believe it would warp.

Crazy Roland

1 - 10 of 10 Posts