Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I swept a stick in through the hive opening to get rid of the usual small # of dead bees. BUT this time there were allot more dead bees, maybe 100. They all were speckled in what looked like grains of sand but it was wax.

Thinking the hive is dead, when I knock on the outside I don't get the tell tale BZZZZ from inside, like I did one week ago.

Thoughts on the wax shreds all over the dead fall?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is just the girls uncapping the honey
That would be the glass half full response.

The glass half empty would be they got robbed out!

Hoping for you and your bees Hawkster is right! :)

Just noticing your location...Have you even had any days warm enough for the bees to be flying? If not, that supports Hawkster's therory.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Too cold for robbing we just had back to back snow storms.
Here it is never too cold for robbing, especially if the bees are flying & one hasn't checked the hives in a matter of time (the robbing may have occurred before storms or freezing weather) I think bees have a sense when a hive dies/is undefended, & make short work of the moving the remaining honey to their hive. It's definitely wax, and one hundred dead is not terribly a lot, depending on the cluster size, and if you had severe weather for a week or more. My concern would be why no morticians have flown them out. One bad sign of robbing (other than the obvious difference in activity at the entrance) is seeing small wax particles on the front hive body above the entrance/exit. I believe this is wax/honey from the bees feet as they exit the feast. I can post a picture of a hive body that has this on it, if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts