Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear peoples opinions on having a groove top frame with wax foundation. I remember reading somewhere that it can be a problem for pests. Is this true?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a wax tube fastener..... my next question is what is the best way to melt wax? I have never done anything like this before!

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
843 Posts
double boiler is best way.

Depending on how many you have to do a simple way is to take a soup can and fill with wax, sit it in a pan of water and heat on the stove or hot eye.

Put you tube in the wax after it gets hot, let the tube warm up also. Put your finger over the vent hole, pull the tube out of the hot wax, place the bottom opening where the foundation and frame meet, and in one quick motion remove your finger from the vent hole and move the tube to the other end of the frame. This will take some practice to get the hang of it

One of the tricks is the temp of the wax, too hot will make a bigger mess and take longer to harden, too cool and it will not stick to the foundation and frame. Just have to play around with it.

good luck with it and don't get burned with the hot wax.

G3

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
843 Posts
If you have a bunch to do get a couple of cans going in the double boiler, that way when one gets low on wax you can add more to it and while it is melting use out of another can.

G3

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You will find a small hole in your wax tube that's used to control the melted wax flow.
You will find out that you do not need very much wax to adhere the foundation to the wood.
Some of us prefer the wedge top bar because it more efficient and we do not have to play around with another gadget.
Or, you can light a pure beeswax candel and let it drip onto the foundation every one to two inches.
Good luck with your project.
Ernie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts