Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have extra time on my hands now, in the heart of winter, and decided to make my own wood foundation frames which I will fill with wax coated plastic foundation. My question is, Is there an advantage or need to wax coat the wooden foundation frame?
I have tried searching this forum on this topic a get confused. Most seem to address foundation frames and foundation interchangeably as they describe techniques for coating with wax.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Yeah, the terminology is not always used consistently. In most beekeeping discussions, the frames and foundations are referenced separately. The exception is the all-in-one plastic frame/foundation, which is almost always referenced simply as: plastic frames. So, in your winter project, you're making wooden frames. To answer your question, no, the wooden frames do not need to be waxed. Just provide the bare wood to the bees with the waxed plastic foundation and the bees take care of the rest.

I do recall a long time back people posting threads on making frames. I did a quick search, but couldn't find the posts. Perhaps someone more proficient in searching can pull on up for you.

Edit: here's one thread:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?325985

1 - 4 of 4 Posts