Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have experience with wax dipping of hive parts? I have two questions:

First, how much longer does it last vs. paint?

Second, in all the videos I've watched, people always dip assembled boxes. I'm wondering if there's a reason for that? Seems like it would be more efficient to dip the pieces before assembly. You could get more boxes in each dip, plus you'd have more exposed end grain before assembly that would absorb the wax better. Just my impression. I'm sure there's a good reason why everyone seems to be dipping them after assembly.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>First, how much longer does it last vs. paint?

I guess the real question is how much longer the boxes last... I'm not sure. In a decade or so the boxes will start turning gray.

>Second, in all the videos I've watched, people always dip assembled boxes. I'm wondering if there's a reason for that? Seems like it would be more efficient to dip the pieces before assembly. You could get more boxes in each dip, plus you'd have more exposed end grain before assembly that would absorb the wax better. Just my impression. I'm sure there's a good reason why everyone seems to be dipping them after assembly.

Yes, it seems that way. I tried it, but the trouble is if you stack the parts they stick together and the wax doesn't flow between them. If you made a rack that would hold them a little apart (1/8" would do) then the wax could get between them and then maybe that would be the best method. I never had time to build a rack and trying to put spacers between them, and tie them together as a bundle was more time consuming that just assembling them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't dipped any yet, but have been looking at it. That being said, I believe the wax would prevent the glue from adhering to the wood in the joints as it wants to be absorbed into the fibers. I have heard that the wax also prevents painting unless it's done immediately after dipping as the wax is being absorbed, but not sure about that either.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't dipped any yet, but have been looking at it. That being said, I believe the wax would prevent the glue from adhering to the wood in the joints as it wants to be absorbed into the fibers. I have heard that the wax also prevents painting unless it's done immediately after dipping as the wax is being absorbed, but not sure about that either.
Never tried it but I agree the wax could inhibet glue adhesion. Corrosion resistant decking screws would solve that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts