Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the tradition is to use a mix of paraffin and tree rosin but is the rosin necessary? I am setting up to dip some equipment and have found a supply of cheap wax. My plan is to use a mix of paraffin and microcrystaline and have purchased 300 pounds at a dollar a pound from a source about 5 miles away so no freight. what does the rosin do and is it needed? The guy also has about a ton of palm wax that he can't sell. All I know about palm wax is that it has a high melting point and is quite hard with about a 400 degree flash point. It sounds like it would work fine , has anyone used this? He also has 5 round bottom tanks that are double walled stainless steel. the tanks are built to heat with hot water and hold 80 gallons each. I am thinking that these might work in a small extraction setup and am considering getting one to have if I ever set up my own honey house . What would one of these be worth?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
There is a risk with old comb of foulbrood. It was a healthy hive so I'm not concerned. That was last year and I have no problems so far. I took a whole hive of black comb. Melted it in the crock pot before my wife got home and brushed it on the insides of several hives. There is as much propolis as beeswax so it should protect the hive as much as the wood. It looks real good when you polish it out on the cover too. They used to finish violins and fine furniture with the stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts