Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Are trying to find out if it is a good idea, locate a vendor, or learn how to do it?

Kamon Reynolds has a video of wax dipping his equipment and there are others on Y tube. Jeff at Hive Five Apiaries near me is set up to wax dip. You could contact him though his website.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i think it is a good idea.just wanted to know were to purchase them. not really big enough to start doing it on my own

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am not wax dipping my own equipment and I am very happy with the results and how the wood holds up in the weather and sun. Depending upon how many hives you run, wax dipping can be very expensive. I use a 50/50 mix of paraffin wax and micro-crystalline wax that holds up pretty well although can begin to melt in spots on the hottest days but this summer's temperatures here in TN have been a bit extreme. I'm done painting woodware. It just does not last very long and the wood rots much sooner. Ants are an even worse issue but they seem to leave the wax dipped wood alone so far.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sickdog5 " think it is a good idea" . Pros and Cons:

1. US Forrest Service produced a nice, 1950's report on dipping in parrafin wax versus rot - dipping won especially for window sills. I would do it if it was my goal.

2. I have no idea if it affects how hte bees propolis line the inside of the box. This is important, it seems, as my rough sawn pine surfaces show very distinct propolis deposits covering the surface.

3. What is the impact on moisture retention, especially in winter. Bees need moisture, especially in cold weather. I have an unusual hive configuration but it shows wood absorbing water vapor in winter and giving it back. It would seem the bees are quite capable of managing moisture in the hive in winter. I have seen them lined up in Nor'Easter drinking water being forced through a crack by wind pressure - amazing. I have recorded hive weight going up in the cold and dry winter periods. I have not seen a wet or drowned bee so far.

4. If you are cost driven, I would make sure it is a cost advantage versus no paint. If you use paint use acrylic - it breathes better than most paints.

I almost did it but hav echanged as I learned more - but strickly backyard hobbyist with 10 colonies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts