Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to raise some queens this spring/summer. I have some JZBZ cups, but I also am making some cups by dipping a 1/4 inch dow rod into wax. The resulting cups are larger than 5 mm, but smaller diameter in comparison to the JZBZ cups. I plan on mounting a bar of JZBZ cups and a bar of my wax cups and graft into both.

Does anyone out there have a size that they use, both diameter and height of wax cups that the bees have accepted?

Phil

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Jay Smith:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearingsimplified.htm#DippingCells

"When completed, the cells should be about five-sixteenths of an inch across the mouth and one-half inch deep inside measurements."--Jay Smith, Queen Rearing Simplified

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdoolittle.htm#CHAPTER7
Doolittle:
I find by measuring, that I now dip the sticks in the wax nine-sixteenths of an inch the first time (measuring from the extreme point), and dipping less and less each time, as before stated, so as to get the base of the cell very thick, which I consider a great advantage. A convenient way to get the right depth, is to raise one side of the lamp a little [Fig. 5, page 50], so that the wax will be deeper in one end of the dish, than at the other. Dip in the deep end first, having the wax deep enough in this end so that it will come to the right point on the stick when the end strikes the bottom, and keep going toward the shallow end, as you proceed. "--G.M. Doolittle, Scientific Queen Rearing

·
Registered
219 Posts
1/4 seems a bit small. I use a 3/8 dow rod. I wet the rod and dip each cell three times in the wax. I make them about the same height as the JZBZ cups.
I use wax cups and JZBZ cups and get about the same results from both.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Looks like the range is between 5/16 and 3/8. 9 mm is about 11/32.

I think I will try a couple of my 1/4 inch on the bar along with some of the larger. The other bar will all be JZBZ cups.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts