Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Second year newbee here. Last year another first year beekeeper posted her idea for watering. She used a 2 1/2 gallon water bottle with a rope as wick along with a picture. I know I should have saved it but hind sight is always 20/20. I have tried to relocate this post thought the search with no luck. Any suggestions where I might find directions for this?
Thanking you in advance,
Betty Sue

·
Registered
290 Posts
My bees (and any passing strangers) really loved this when it came to watering.

I have several large potted plants that I put outside during the summer. Last year, I placed them all inside a $4 black mortar-mixing pan from Home Depot. These plants like to keep their feet wet, so I tried to keep at least an inch of water in the pan at all times. Consequently, the surface soil was always moist.

I would check the pan every day, and every day the exposed soil would be covered by thirsty bees. No worrying about drowning either, as they ignored the water in the pan and went straight for the pots.

This year, I installed a rain barrel fairly close to the hive. As part of the overflow, I'm setting out another $4 mortar pan filled with sand & rocks (fist to grapefruit size) for both the bees & the butterflies to enjoy.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
This is the water year for us. If you remember last year (http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234296&highlight=neighbors+fountain) We need to solve the water problem before the summer sets in and there is a heat wave and also before the neighbors wedding. (http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237892&highlight=wedding). With 20 new hives and 9 wintered ones that are booming water is an issue in a heat wave.

For now I am going to set up the baby pool for water with lots of floaty's in it for them. We are going to build some rockeries this summer with a large water feature just for the girls.:D

Most of the time we don't need water sources here in Western Washington. But, in a heat wave it is pretty dry expecially later in the summer months.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have an old Rubbermaid Cattle Watering Tank that I plan on letting the bees use.

I have placed several 8 inch cider blocks in it so that the birds and the bees won't drown in it.

It has a removeable drain plug in the bottom side of it so that I can keep it clean.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
You can put a bucket with bubble wrap or something that floats out so they can get to the water without drowning. Put small holes just below the rim so the floating material will not wash out in a rainstorm. It is also a great way to use the entrance feeders with water for something other bees won't rob out your hive. A shallow tray with rocks works good too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi: I have a bird bath located under the drip line of my roof that has balsam branches and a candle in it (left over from the winter). There are usually 15 - 20 bees climbing on the branches and needles getting water; looks good and helps them too. I figure that the birds are on their own. I can add water easily if needed. Paul

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought a 5 gal. bucket to put inside an old wooden 1/2 barrel type planter. I made a wire mesh v to put inside for the bees to use to land/walk on. It goes all the way to the bottom. I hope they will use it no matter how full it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a small water pond for the bees here at my house but so that I have out in fields I use a chicken water and put rocks in it so the bees won't drown. It seem to work well. But all the above see to be also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use an old rubber made bucket with some rocks and pine straw in it. I add a little HBH or if I have some chicken poop.

Works well so far. But what do I know this is my first year doing this.;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
With a small stream just a few yards from the hives, I found last fall they really like the solar cover on the pool.:lpf:

Too darn cold for swimming at that time anyway!

Probably should come up with a new idea this year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BettSue 7

Yes it is the best thing I have found to use. an old beekeeper told me about it. This is my first year and we have an in ground pool 30 ft from the hives.

I put Chicken poop in the rubber made container with rocks and float some pine straw and they love it. They like it better then when I put in HBH.

I don't know why they just do.

Brooklyn

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll keep that in mind. I'm getting four hens next month. Chicken poop is too hot to put directly on the garden. Wonder if they're getting some kind of nitrogen fix?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I am sure you are right. But poop of anykind does not sound like a clean water source.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My bees like the drip irrigation in the garden. They travel from zone to zone depending on where the water is flowing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts