Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put out a water source for the bees. I can put it in full sun, partial sun or full shade. Do the bees seem to prefer one over the other, or they couldn't care less? The only thing I am thinking is less evaporation in the shade.

Thanks
Blueline

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I happen to have a 5 gallon galvanized chicken waterer that I think will work out really well and intend to fill the tray with rocks etc. It has a 5 gal. tank and an outer cover that goes over the tank. Remove the outer cover and pour in more water. No turning it upside down and unscrewing the trough from the container to fill it. It should be much more conveniant then that type. And taking advice from the folks on this forum, the occasional addition of a little chicken poo to the trough should help to keep them happy

Blueline

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have several bird baths in my yard and the bees use these quite happily. I float a couple of corks in case they want to land in the middle. The squirrels toss the corks out, but I just pick them up and toss them back in. Interestingly the bees prefer one bird bath over the others -- it's in the sun, but otherwise identical to the others. When the water evaporates and turns green, they seem to like it even better!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Blueline,
I use one of the plastic chicken feeders with rocks, it works great. Stays full over a week. Mine is in a sunny location.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I use a chicken waterer with wine corks floating around the edge. Warbuk, you probably won't need a nearby water source other than the ponds but you never know with bees.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have all sorts of water sources available within my yard, a leaky garden hose, a couple of dog water bowls and automatic chicken waterers. The bees seem to like the garden irrigation lines the best, they take water straight from the emitters. Don't know why, they are on a timer and the bees will move from bed to bed/zone to zone.
I guess that just because you put a dedicated source out for them they may not use it anyways! Just go for it, move it around and see what works best for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts