Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the flow on and bees doing good I'm thinking about putting plain warm water in my Boardman feeder for them to drink. The temp should reach about 90 today. I do have a water supply nearby but so far I don't think there interested in it.
Any opinions...

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
With a flow on, the bees likely don't need water to drink. Nectar has a high percentage of water, perhaps as high as 85%.

But water is also used by the bees to cool the hive when it gets hot. I don't think you need to be concerned with water temperature at this time of year.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
When you do need to furnish water in a Boardman feeder, start with a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar solution. The sugar starts the bees to taking from the feeder, and once they are using the thin syrup, change to straight water.

Once bees start using a water source it is hard to make them change over to another source. They are usually loyal to a water source until it fails. If your bees bother your neighbors by using water their pet waters, it helps to put your feeders on your colonies early before they start using a lot of water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts