Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water source has dried up and now I wonder if the bees are becoming dehydrated. I opened up a hive last night and noticed that I had a lot of dried larva and it looked like the capped brood was even dry. At first I thought I had a laying worker, but eventually found the Queen. Do I move the hive to a different location? They look to be hungry also and I started feeding with 5:3 syrup and they are taking it so am questioning if there is enough food source in the area also. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
It is relatively simple to offer bees water if you think there aren't any readily available sources. A bucket with a towel draped over the edge - into the water - is one option.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
We keep an inexpensive poultry waterer near the hives. We put some rocks in the water pan so they have something to land on and don't drown.

·
Registered
327 Posts
We keep an inexpensive poultry waterer near the hives. We put some rocks in the water pan so they have something to land on and don't drown.
I see bees on our birdbaths all the time. We also put rocks in them primarily for the birds to perch on but the bees use them too. A poultry waterer is a good idea if looks don't matter.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Plus side of poultry waterer: does not need refilling frequently.

Downside: mosquitoes like it too. One could use Bti mosquito dunks to control them ... supposedly harmless to bees, but we're reluctant to give Bti to bees deliberately in their water.

Upside: the mosquito larvae may find themselves within the bottle reservoir of the mosquito waterer, where they emerge as adult mosquitoes and are trapped forever.

Solution: change the water frequently enough that the mosquitoes don't mature.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I admit I never used chicken waterers for anything but chickens, but I never saw a mosquito larvae in them.

I use buckets for the bees and those I have to change the water a couple of times a week to keep the mosquito larvae out of them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am fortunate in that I have a creek that runs thru the property....20' from the hives. I'm unfortunate in that if I want to spend any time ovserving the hives or even working around them, I have to slather on the OFF/Deep Woods to keep the skeeters at bay. Almost as many of them as the bees. I do notice the skeeters like to hang around the hives. not sure why.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You can also use Boardman entrance feeders with water in them instead of sugar syrup. Bees don't have to fly very far. My hives go through a quart a week if it doesn't rain. Could get expensive if you don't make your own and have lots of hives. Bucket with towel is cheaper.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am fortunate in that I have a creek that runs thru the property....20' from the hives. I'm unfortunate in that if I want to spend any time ovserving the hives or even working around them, I have to slather on the OFF/Deep Woods to keep the skeeters at bay. Almost as many of them as the bees. I do notice the skeeters like to hang around the hives. not sure why.
LOL I heard that!

Ya sometimes I suit up for the Skittas and not the bee's here in Lizard Creek, Louisiana :}

[/url] photo hosting[/IMG]

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have been experimenting with different watering options. I have a chicken feeder out there and it works well. I have a collection of stones that I put in the ring after inverting it and the bees use them well.

Occasionally I find a couple of mosquito larvae in the waterers, but changing out/replacing the water weekly keeps this problem in check. I just added watering the bees to chicken coop cleaning days. I wash the chicken coop waterers on coop day and grab the bee waterer also.

When going out of town I add more water to the chicken yard and coop just in case a sitter does not show or there is a failure. I take gallon milk jugs and cut one half of the top out in a dome shape then add water. For the bees I did the same and put a few larger rocks in and a couple of chunks of branch. The bees find this type of waterer useful also. I placed a jug in the shade of a tree and there were more on that one than the others.

I plan on putting together an automatic watering system on the coop. Two outer walls are not inside the chicken yard. I am considering putting some sort of watering cup or trough on those sides of the building for the bees. The valves are usually beak operated, so I will have to use a float valve of some sort for the bees.

I will be catching the roof water and sending it to a IBC tank. Then I will pump it into a 5 gallon bucket with a small submersible 12v pump. The upper 5 gal bucket will have a water filter candle in it and the lower will gravity feed the watering cups mounted in the hens room on the other side of the wall and might also put a section on the wall not in the fenced yard for the bees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts