Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several natural sources of water very close to my hives , I also put a dog watering bowl about 8 feet from my hives ,but they don't seem to be using it I put rocks in it so they don't have any problem as far as going for an unexpected swim. Is it just a matter of time or does anyone have any tips or suggestions :scratch:

·
Registered
69 Posts
First year beek here. I set-up several water sources. The bees seemed to find the further away ones initially, then they eventually started hitting them all. It seems that they have a hard time orienting to the closer ones - whether this is due to their waggle dance having something to do with distance, or if they prefer to fly their little wings off to something further away, I don't know.

Another person suggested putting in some lemon oil scent into the water. It might make them find it sooner. They seem to prefer sludgy dirty water over a nice clean bowl.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
It's funny, I found my bees using the condensation area of my air conditioners. Thought that wasn't a good idea.(no real reason) So,,I put out a poultry waterer in a nearby location. No bees. Today, I heard my neighbor, who has a swimming pool, exclaim,,,,we have a bee problem. so, I put the air run off back on a flat stone. Hope it is ok. Don't care for my neighbor but don't want issues either
Rick SoMd

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah, lol. I think some of my bees are hitting neighbors pools too. From the number of bees I see sucking down water from my fountains, they must be getting their water elsewhere...

Some other folks mentioned that they love chlorine in other threads. Looks like the smell of such a large body of water is irrestible to the honeys.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My bees seem to like the drip irrigation in the garden. They move from zone to zone collecting from the emitters. They also seem to like the dogs water bucket. They climb down the garden hose to the waters edge to drink. I usually put a little bleach in it to keep the algae away. It does not seem to bother them a bit (the dog or the bees). I have been treating my poultry waterers with bleach for years.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just be patient and you will see them using it eventually...I filled a stainless steel pan up with water and all they wanted to do was drink the water out of the ole used rubber truck tires leaned up against the garage! After a few weeks they started using the stainless steel pot. I just recently bought a big 5 gal container that looks like a old barrel drum to old more water and to look better. It will be awhile before they get used to it and then they will be using it also! Just takes alil time!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts