Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Bees store their food and raise their young in the honeycomb nest. Honeycomb is made from beeswax, which is secreted by young worker bees, and fashioned into the familiar honeycomb hexagonal shape. Because bees live in these wax combs, though, they have to keep the nest at a constant temperature, not only to keep the colony from overheating, but also to prevent the wax from melting. In hot weather, bees cool the colony much like your swamp or evaporative cooler does - by evaporating off drops of water. Bees collect water and spread it throughout the colony in droplets. Then they fan the air to create an air stream over the water drops, causing the water to evaporate and thus lowering the nest temperatures. When bees forage for water, they are not too fussy about where they collect it. It could be from a small, muddy puddle, a stream or your swimming pool, irrigation system, swamp cooler or birdbath."
From: (http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11067&page=7)

But we can obtain more specific information about needs of our bees by observing they behavior.
I've taken almost two hundreds photos to select just these five and I hope you will enjoy these photos:
http://www.beebehavior.com/water_source.php

Boris Romanov

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great pictures Boris!! Thanks for sharing!! I set up a chicken waterer with rocks in it so the girls didn't have to go for the mud puddles....I think they still go anyway. lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Knpeterson, beekeeper1756 , thank your for your comments.

... I set up a chicken waterer with rocks in it so the girls didn't have to go for the mud puddles....I think they still go anyway. lol

Knpeterson, I would recommend you to use any bait for a couple of days to attract your bees to your chicken waterer.

My friend is a farmer also, therefore I can see what his bees prefer...

Boris Romanov

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cool photos, you should look into getting a DSLR, you would have a blast with it!

Regarding water sources... what do you do about mosquitoes. Around here, standing water is absolutely a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never had good luck with a chicken waterer. What has worked for me is either a tray filled with gravel and small rocks, and then filled with enough water so as not to completely cover the rocks. Another method is setting out a 5 gallon bucket filled half to two-thirds full, with several small tree branches stuck in for the bees to land on and climb down to the water. I still see some drowned bees with this method, and you need to empty the water every couple of days to avoid breeding mosquitoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
goldfish are great at eating mosquito larva and they help to keep the bucket clean(ish). I use them in my 250 gallon rainwater tank. Never have to feed them and they are just a couple of $ for 10. Probably only need 1 or 2 for a small bucket.

·
Registered
329 Posts
goldfish are great at eating mosquito larva and they help to keep the bucket clean(ish). I use them in my 250 gallon rainwater tank. Never have to feed them and they are just a couple of $ for 10. Probably only need 1 or 2 for a small bucket.
I like that, the baby will too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts