Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2 roof top hives I filled a five gallon bucket with water and made a circular foam insert covered with a tee shirt as a water source. I placed the bucket about 20 ft on the right side in front of the hives. Installed the hives on May 4 and the bees do not touch the water source??? Do not even sniff it out?? Does anyone have any thoughts??? Thanks

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Look around to see if there are air conditioner condensate lines on the rooftop. These will often have little puddles of water with moss and other "stuff" in them that the bees prefer. While on the roof, look around to see if there are any nearby swimming pools, bees have an affinity for them also.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I think this just means you don't need to provide them with water, at least not at the moment. Certainly nothing to worry about. I'm not really clear on what your question is, actually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just thought after several weeks with some days topping 85 degrees I would see some action on the water pails?? But maybe they do not require water at the moment??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Try placing the bucket further away. A speaker at our club once said that bees have a hard time locating items less than 50 feet from their hives. Also, try adding something that smells to the water, such as bleach.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
When I had rooftop hives they rarely took water I gave them. But there was standing water all over the place down below from a town fountain to condensate water, bird baths, etc. I would leave some but don't worry if they find it elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts