Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the way my new hives look. Do I have to paint them or can I use something like Thompson's water seal?
thanks for the advice

Registered
I used Thompson's for several years, and it works good to preserve the wood but it will start mildewing and looking old within the first year. The hives with bees that I sell I paint but the ones I use for my apiary I still use Thompson's, it is fast and easy to apply and preserves as well or better than paint.

Registered
If you like the "natural wood" look, as I do, then Thompson's is a great (and, necessary) way to preserve the wood for many years. I sealed only the outside of my (hTBH) hives. The bees are happy with it.

(I've also used Linseed oil and other "natural" preservatives although these do not hold up as well in our weather.)

Registered
You can use linseed oil, but you will need to reapply after a couple of years, and use boiled - some people complain of mildew, because they use raw linseed. The nice thing about linseed is a) it is natural and b) it is much cheaper than synthetic sealers.

Registered
I use Penofin Oil (Brazilian Rosewood Oil) it is 99% uv protection and has a mildewcide and fungicide. The down fall is it's rather expensive running $35 to $45 per gallon. However it holds up very well.

Registered
I use Penofin Oil (Brazilian Rosewood Oil) it is 99% uv protection and has a mildewcide and fungicide. The down fall is it's rather expensive running $35 to $45 per gallon. However it holds up very well.
That sounds like something I would like, think I will try a gallon, if it holds up and doesn't mildew it would be worth the extra money.

Registered
I would avoid using Brazilian Rosewood products - it is a CITES Appendix I endangered species and though there are legal exports, the demand for Brazilian Rosewood and its derivatives such as oil (used in the perfume industry primarily) is so high that it continues to drive large scale illegal logging.

I would rather not be part of the demand that drives this industry, but of course each person must make up their own mind.

Registered
I would avoid using Brazilian Rosewood products - it is a CITES Appendix I endangered species and though there are legal exports, the demand for Brazilian Rosewood and its derivatives such as oil (used in the perfume industry primarily) is so high that it continues to drive large scale illegal logging.

I would rather not be part of the demand that drives this industry, but of course each person must make up their own mind.
Forrest:
That is very good information tactfully presented. Good Job!

Registered
As I understand the oil is harvested from the seeds rather than logging the tree. Penofin claims on their website and in literature that they use only sustainable harvesting methods.

Registered
I've used tung oil straight as well as tung oil cut with citrus solvent both to very good effect. It's a completely safe treatment for the wood and the bees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts