Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for taking the time to look over my question-

A friend of mine and I did a cut out from a water meter yesterday and it was a bigger job than anticipated. We were able to recover almost all of the comb, which filled most of the five frames in the nuc. The small amount of extra comb left over came with us.

We left the nuc there at the meter until sunset, at which time my friend returned to retrieve it, however there were still a very large amount of bees still on the outside, so he left it there for now. We do live in S. California (Zone 10A) and it was around 72 degrees and nice outside when the bees were still on the front. Low humidity as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture to include at this time, and I'm going off of his description, but I could use some advise as to how to proceed.

My plan at this time is to wait and watch, but my friend feels that there's not enough room left in the Nuc and wants to get them into a Deep ASAP (which we don't have as of yet).

And again, it's five frames, about 60-70% covered with rubber-banded comb in a "ProNuc," and this was 99% of the brood.

From the small details provided, can anybody give me an idea of there's a chance they are out of room and of that's why they have yet to go inside? I highly doubt it, but I'm new and I wanted to check here before I stake my case with my neighbor.

Also, nether of us had the chance to check it today so the issue might be resolved, but if not I wanted to have a plan in place.

Thanks again,
b1rd

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
try to go in the early AM like 4:30 5:00
hopefully they go in more as the night cools.
May need to smoke slightly to chase that last few in, then screen them and move them.
It would seem if you have most of the comb in the NUC and the frames are 60-70% full there should be space.

In a pinch, a larger mesh bag over the whole thing , may work to get them home.

good luck

GG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't think about the cooler temps in the AM, so I'll have him follow up on his end. (And I did buy a mesh bag just for this purpose ;-)

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you know you got the queen, the bees should march right in. Maybe some lemongrass oil would persuade them to the entrance of the new hive.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Why the urgency?
Maybe it is - i don't know.
But you can simply leave the nuc on the premises while you are acquire a bigger box.
Bees will settle down into the nuc around the brood and the queen.

Then replace the small box by a bigger box.
Then move the bigger box.

Or set the entire thing into a big TV/computer box when you find one.
Then move the entire thing-thing.

If this is not urgent and can take 2-3 days, none of the issues are really any issues.
Most often you can indeed do it over several days and not be stressing out.
I would not worry a bit they are out of room or not for a couple of days (it is summer and they can stay outside) - they will not leave the brood/queen behind and leave (very unlikely).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the urgency?
It's my neighbor's gig. He does landscaping, and this was a hive on one of his client's property.

He charges his clients for the bee removal, we do it together and I keep the bees for my part. I suggested that we leave them for a while but the client wants them gone. And I did order another hive last night. I also have a couple of other 5-frame nucs as well if needed.

I never heard back from my neighbor as far as the status, but I did learn that he was out there at 9 PM, so I'm thinking the bees just had not made it inside at that point. That's what I'm hoping anyhow.

I hope to post back with an update soon and thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I also have a couple of other 5-frame nucs as well if needed..
Got the urgency.

So then I'd indeed put the hive into a big TV.
If any bees will be outside the hive, they still will be inside the TV box.
Wait until most are in; tape it shut; transport away.
Or do your netting thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help.

It was a success thus far, as the bees made their way into the Nuc. The nuc was moved to the permanent location, where traded out the nuc boxes, which gave me a quick look at the frames and things looked good.

b1rd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts