Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have prepared a water container with a floating wooden grit so bees can sit on it. I placed it next to the hive. I even added some lemongrass and still the bees wont take.

All the books advice to prepare some sort of water source for bees. How can I attract them to the water source, or what kind of water feeder to make? maybe there is some internal ones or else

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Make your water source away from the hives a little bit. Having it right up next to them doesn't work as well.

Try adding a little salt to the water, just don't over do it.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Add a small solar fountain to give the water movement. This is one I made when brand new. I use corks for floats, the bees love them. Our problem is raccoons, who broke down this fence to get in. We had to make a wood frame for it. Note the solar fountain. Bees started using within 24 hours. I later added miniature water hyacinth plants.

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/4fgswndt1/]

[/URL]

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Bees like to fly onto branches and crawl downwards to the water so I contstructed my source like that.
So I can use deep water sources, I´m not always there to fill them and I like rainwater in there.
I put into the water old dry oak leaves, this the bees love and it´s healthy because of the acids.

Don´t use any wood or leaves from needle trees!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I put into the water old dry oak leaves, this the bees love and it´s healthy because of the acids.
I don't know if polyphenols are acids but I know that they are active ingredient against nosema (in Nozevit) and are extracted from oak bark. That said, it should be mentioned that water sources can also be sources of nosema, but it looks like your water source already have medicine against nosema.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use low plastic type plates with rocks and place them next to the hives on the ground or even on top of the hives.They consume a lot of water however some is lost by evaporation. I have never had bees drown. They also seem to like water that may be dirt from leaves, etc, but I replace it with fresh water. The deer also drink my water.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bees like to fly onto branches and crawl downwards to the water so I contstructed my source like that.
So I can use deep water sources, I´m not always there to fill them and I like rainwater in there.

Don´t use any wood or leaves from needle trees!
can you show me a picture how to construct such feeder?

·
Registered
406 Posts
can you show me a picture how to construct such feeder?
I use relatively flat plastic pan with sides. I thinkI found them at a garden store and they were used under larger plant vases. I also bought a bag of small rocks thatI placed in them.The rocks need to be washed before use. Anything flat enough so the rocks stay above the water works. Even if you dont have water the bees will find moisture in any places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts