Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday my son and I watched a hive swarm, we also found two mated queens in the same hive. While removing swarm cells from one hive my son looked behind me and said, Dad, I think they are going to try to kill us. I turned around and watched them pour out of our first hive. I told him to call my wife so she could see a swarm forming. She got there in time to see it. Then while working on the hive with the swarm cells we found one mated queen and removed her to mark her. Pulled two very full brood frames out to start a nuke with. Put the marked queen back. Put the swarm cells in the queen castle. Went to put a queen cell into the new nuc and while inspecting the two frames for the best spot to attach the cell, found another, unmarked, mated queen. So we caught her and marked her and put her back in the nuc. We lost the swarm. My wife found it later about 20 feet off the ground. We put a hive at the bottom with a honey frame, a comb frame and swarm lure. They stayed there two days and then left. They weren’t impressed with the hive we put out there for them. Sure did hate to lose that big swarm. I had put a second hive body on them several weeks ago because they were building up so fast, but I had no frames with drawn comb, so they swarmed anyway….
Very exciting day on the farm. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts