Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://gfycat.com/selfassuredsoftdesertpupfish

Anyone else ever observe this? NUC was inspected yesterday, still queenless and population dwindling. Today I saw this swarm happen. I thought it was robbing but everything was so calm. I sat and watched them fan the entrances and move right in!

The swarm is probably from my other hive. Still waiting on queens to mate and it is probably a second queen emerging. I saw what I think are emerged cells as well as capped. I wasn't sure what to do with them so I left them.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting, has anyone else ever seen or heard of swarms moving into queenless colonies?

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I have twice seen a swarm move into a weak hive managed by a poor queen.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know africanized honey bee swarms can invade and supersede weak hives, its one of the reasons why they spread so fast. I'd be a little bit worried if a swarm of bees moved into a weak hive, that kind of behavior is a little aggressive for my tastes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know africanized honey bee swarms can invade and supersede weak hives, its one of the reasons why they spread so fast. I'd be a little bit worried if a swarm of bees moved into a weak hive, that kind of behavior is a little aggressive for my tastes.
They didn't kill the other hive. It was actually really calm. Also the split in the NUC was from the hive that swarmed, so it was the same bees really, just the NUC I was trying to make another queen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts