Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost two hives to wasps this year, and all of them are under tremendous pressure. Plus they are annoying everyone in our area. Does anyone know where to buy the pheromone or attractant to use in the spring to trap the queens. Has anyone kept at it and actually lowered the population in their area?
Any other suggestions?/
thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are they yellow jackets? If so, I used the bag type traps sold at Lowe's, home depot, last year and caught thousands and thousands. I've hardly seen a single one this year. Apparently the attractant in the trap isn't attractive to honeybees as I had no problems with bees getting in the traps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have yellowjackets, not wasps but robber screens seem to keep them out of the hives.

I've traps out around the hives that catch hundreds of yellowjackets but there are still plenty buzzing around the apiary, however I did not have the traps out this spring to try and catch the queens.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i've kept them in check this year. i am vigilant about it. i rebait my 15 traps with meat and sugar banana stuff every 4 days or so. i also have the bottles with inverted tops which worked great up until 2 days ago when my bees started going into them. i've got one of those square 4 gallon buckets over half full of yellow jacket bodies. they are bad here where i live.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a question for you guys i dont bee keep but i have a nest of VERY aggressive wasp in my Garage. in fact today i left my Garage in the Ambulance, i was going to try and spray them tonight but when i moved my car they started darting at the ceiling and walls and then flew off i thought they would stay on the nest at night.i know im probably going to catch hell but in going to ask when is the best time to spray the nest/or/or and other suggestions on how to get them out of my garage right now its a small nest of about 10. I have been stung several times in my life of a 53 yr old but as soon as he stung me today I knew I was in trouble I just felt it the sting was different it wasn't a hard sting, but very different like a hit and run within 2 minutes I was having a Major reactions.
my other question is can they sting me thru a TYVEX Suit?

my location is Whitwell,Tn right out of Chattanooga if they are any bulletins about these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts